Spencer Museum of Art The University of Kansas

Welcome to the Spencer Collection

Chiesa di S. Stefano (Basilica of Santo Stefano)
  • Pietro Poppi
    1833–1914 (active 1866–1907)
    active: Italy
  • Chiesa di S. Stefano (Basilica of Santo Stefano), late 1800s
  • Where object was made: Bologna, Italy
  • albumen print
  • Image Dimensions Height/Width:
    Image Dimensions Height/Width:
  • Transfer from the Department of Architectural Engineering
  • Not on display
  • S2015.093
Description

Architectural view of the facades of the three churches of the Crucifix. Starting with the church on the right (Church of the Crucified), Gothic it consists of a single nave with vaulted roof truss and presbytery elevated on the crypt. At the center of the presbytery there is the Crucifix, and above that is a rose window. The church to the left (The Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre) is an octagonal Romanesque. The leftmost church (Basilica of San Vitale and protomartyrs Sant'Agricola) is in the Early Christian style with salient façade and apse triconca.